Thursday, March 24, 2011

Comic Expo & Rollerderby in Adelaide


Just a few weeks ago during the Adelaide Fringe festival I was invited by Kate, a friend who worked at the festival, to go see her Rollerderby team. As luck would have it, the Armageddon Expo (Adelaide's own comic-con) was taking place just next door. So in between the Rollerderby matches I went to geek out and get my space laser/dragon fix with another comic, Zack Adams.
As we walked around the stalls filled with swords/ninja stars/and photos you could buy to get signed by the 'celebrities'. There was an impressively accurate R2D2 rolling around, with a Darth Vader guarded by two storm troopers. At the end of the hall, Lance Henriksen, was finishing up his speech in front of hundreds of people. The stalls had white picket fences, leading up to the 'stars', like Renee O'Connor, who played Gabrielle in 'Xena: Warrior Princess,' as well as many other people who you might recognize if you watched a lot of daytime sci-fi/fantasy dramas. Instead of making you pay for their autographs, they make you pay for a photo to get the autographs on. Or you can pay even more to get a photograph with them.
I wonder how much the celebrity autograph/photograph market really counts in the overall world economy. When I watched the eager fans, lining up to get their signed photo of John Rhys Davies, I can't imagine that there is much enduring happiness achieved from getting proof of their fleeting moment with their television and film heroes. I can see them getting home, lining up all their figurines and singed memorabilia, and thinking, wow what an amazing day. But then they wake up in the morning, head off to their job, and are back at square one. Are they going to be sitting there, answering phones for whatever company they get paid to take abuse for , and right when they feel the hopelessness of where they are in their life sinks in, is that autograph of their favorite star going to really make them feel like it was all worth it? For their sake I hope it does, but I'm skeptical. Of course not everyone that goes to comic conventions is this sad portrait of a human being I'm picturing. Of course most folks who go to conventions are intelligent, creative and passionate people who I'd rather strike up a conversation with than anyone else on the planet. There's just someting about the fetishism of autographs that I think isn't healthy or coming from a good place.
For an example of some creative people. Here's some friends of the Tuxedo Cat, Pontip (Master Chief) and Calixta (Cheetara) who have more skills in costume making than I could ever hope for.
As I was walking through the isles, I suddenly heard the sound of a wrestling bell. We ran over to see a Battle Royal. After all these years it took me going to the other side of the planet and attending a comic expo to see some live wrestling for the first time. It was as unconvincing as you would expect a wrestling show at a comic expo to be. You can see the smiles from the audience while this one guy was getting choked out, he's clearly unconvinced.
The Star Wars people put together a life size action figure package. So I introduce to you, the lesser known, discontinued action figure. Sporty Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment