Friday, March 18, 2011

Adelaide Part 2: The Tuxedo Cat

The Adelaide Fringe festival was a huge fucking success. My last week was basically sold out, and I didn't feel at all sad about it being over as I'm more preoccupied with what show to put together for next year.
Not only was stretching out and performing 18 one hour shows a great exercise, but going to see so much different styles of comedy was fantastic. There was a ballroom with 10 meter (that's right I'm going metric) ceilings, where the main bar was situated. The Tuxedo Cat ended up being a bit of a hangout this month, as when most bars would close up shop, the Tux's permit kept it open a few hours later. This allowed for some particularly late nights. Such as when Amanda Palmer held a secret show after her concert in the Tuxedo Cat ballroom.

The little princess was playing in the background. Cass (Cassandra Tombs, who runs the Tuxedo Cat venue along with her partner Bryan) really wanted me to get a shot of that playing as it's their daughter's favorite.
For the first week of my shows, I would immediately go downstairs afterward and hop behind the bar. It was a great way to get to know other artists and people frequenting the venue.
The building itself was originally planned to be demolished by developers, but was halted as the city declared it a historical building. Originally a Telegraph house, it then became a Life Assurance company, and several other skins, before being abandoned. While transitioning from one place to another I ended up sleeping in the ballroom one night. Having the old spooky mansion to myself was actually a pleasure, as I grew up on Scooby Doo and fucking love old haunted mansions. No luck on the ghost spotting though.
All the staff here were extremely helpful, fun, and laid back. I remember countless evenings where the right moment of the night would hit (normally around 4am) and we'd turn off the music and being to make our own. The place was just comfortable and open. The anti nightclub.
Another special night was when we threw a show together for the fringe staff, many of whom hadn't had the chance to see much, as they were busy working. The mix of talent, from famous to those who will be one day, was wonderful. The sharp witted Marcel Lucont hosted along with me in the back, tending bar with a microphone. The night was magic. Hard to describe. I'll let this photo hopefully do it some justice.
The quiet halls of this place were home for the past 30 days. What's even more amazing is that it was a temporary venue. This place converted from a shell of a building, back up to code so that five different rooms could be used to perform in, where dozens of shows took place in a month, and it was all for a one shot deal. Next year, I don't know where Cass and Bryan will set up shop, but I will certainly be there.

The beer garden was the backyard terrace built by James and his gang in a matter of days. This place ended up being a big hangout during the fringe. The bar was out of a modified caravan, and the only bathrooms (which were port-o-potties) where out here as well. The final night of the fringe, once everything else has closed down, everyone inevitably ended up out here to wrap up the festival.
It's getting late, so I'm going to call it a night. Needless to say this was a wonderful space that will very soon no longer exist. I'm glad I was able to be here for the short while that it was a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment