Thursday, March 17, 2011

Adelaide Debrief Part 1

Finally some photos to go along with these words. I've had trouble writing recently, because I know I've had all these photos to go along with the words and didn't want them to come staggered. So here it is! A final debrief of some of my experiences while here in Adelaide, and pretty pictures to go along with them. The blogs take only 4 photos each I think, so this Adelaide debrief will be in segmented installments. I may overlap some things in previous blog entries, but now with some photos to go along with it.
This city is surrounded by beautiful beaches, and one thing unique about them compared to other parts of Australia is that they are virtually unoccupied. There are just so many of them, and much less people relatively, that you just can't fill them. Just the other day I went out for my first surfing trip in Southport, SA.
It is one of those moments when you are looking at a postcard but it is moving. The waves were fairly mild that day, so it was a perfect time to go out & learn how to read the swell, and get comfortable on the board. The first time a wave picks you up on the board is distinct and exciting. There were a couple of times where I felt I was about to pick myself up, but by then I would be standing on the board in the sand (at least that's my excuse). From what I've heard, Byron Bay is the place to head for surfing and easy enough to get a job near the beach. So the plan is to pretty much spend the month of May there, and finally leave with ability to ride a fucking wave!

There's something about holding a surfboard that just makes you look rad. This might be just me, and it might have something to do with the fact that I still use the word 'rad'.


Here is James Potter. One of the finest humans, let alone Australians, I've met so far. He works with his partner Karen Schiller, an equally amazing individual, under the aptly titled company 'Landscape Construct' and a garden design company called 'Dirt'. I've been staying with them the past two weeks. For those of you who have read earlier blogs, these two are the ones whose back yard has every vegetable you can think of and many that you haven't. Not to mention several fruit trees, including pears, oranges, lemons, grape vines, olives and almonds. Oh yeah, and chickens for eggs. Basically they go to the supermarket for cheese. The dream of a year round garden, to live completely off the land is possible people, you just have to fly to the other end of the planet.
I'm spending this weekend heading out with the two of them to lay some cement on a job out in Hindmarsh, a suburb of Adelaide, which we will hopefully finish up the first two days and have Monday to go fishing. More on the fishing expedition next week.

3 comments: