Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bike Safety!

I try my best to not make snap judgments on anything. Hastily relating an individual experience with a person place or thing, as the definitive on any subject is what leads people to believe that "All racists are lazy", or "Homophobes don't tip," something we all know has happened, but isn't necessarily an accurate description of every xenophobic queer-fearing person on the planet. Stereotypes are a tough one, some general truths can be equated to a cultural, sexual, or recreational group (Live Action Role Players seem to have a fondness for heavy metal music, if I want to know the best vegan restaurant in town, I'm going to ask one of my lesbian friends). Does this mean that all lesbians are allergic to meat? (Settle down) No. But the fact remains, if I'm looking for some awesome tofu, I'm asking my gay friend, because she'll know. All this is to say that there are characteristics within groups that are similar, simply because the same environment and lifestyle will bring about similar experiences, and those parallel experiences can influence one's style, eating habits, accent, etc.
This issue was raised to introduce a characteristic in Adelaidians I've discovered over the past two weeks. It is far less controversial than any of the former examples, but no less serious and that issue is... bicycle safety.
Yesterday I went to put a new tube in a bike that had been lent to me by Mel & Matt (the couple I've been staying with this past week). I didn't bring a helmet with me, as I was walking the bike to the shop. With the bike fixed, I had a few blocks to roll it over to drop it off at Matt's work. No less than half a block down the street I see a group of young guys that can only be described as thugs. As I pass by them on the bicycle, sweat band firmly in place and hair blowing in the wind, one of them stops smoking his cigarette and yells at me from the sidewalk:
"Oye, Rebel. Rebel! Where's ya helmet!"
It felt like I had been spotted in some kind of sci-fi film, and the discerning factor that I wasn't one of the pod people was the fact that I wasn't wearing a helmet. It's true that unlike Montreal, everyone wears a helmet here. I think bicycle safety must have been ingrained at an early age, and effectively too. I just wasn't expecting these group of kids, who looked like they would rob me for my bike, aggressively promote bicycle safety. But the fun wasn't over.
Feeling self conscious after the considerate message from the youths, I went onto the empty sidewalk and rolled along slowly. When I made it to a corner, I stopped and rested my feet on the ground. Seconds later, a man with long gray hair walked right up to me and pushed hard, yelling "Get your bike off the fucking footpath!" Then continued on his way. Now I know that there must have been a lot more affecting this man than his deep consideration of the city's bylaws, but wherever the hate came from, it still ended up all over me in the form of large concern for bicycle safety. All I could think of to shout back at him was, "I'm sorry you're not having a good day!" Seemed accurate enough, he yelled something back I couldn't hear. Angry people hate it when you don't get angry back.
That was all within the span of about 2omins. Then there was a short incident last week. I was driving as the sun was starting to go down, and a crazy drunk took a break from his ramblings to yell "Where's your fucking headlight!" as I drove down the street. In that case, I had it, I had just forgot to turn it on, which I promptly did.
I'm not trying to condone a lack of bicycle safety, all of these people have their points, however crudely delivered they were. It's just that in my 29 years on the planet so far, I have never come across such a strong public enforcement of bicycle safety, or any bylaw for that matter.
This is really not a complaint, just an genuine observation of some extreme examples of several unlikely characters, and their passion to civic duty. So next time you hear someone talk about how Aussies are tough as nails, slightly racist descendants of convicts; don't forget to add 'Bicycle safety enthusiasts'.

2 comments:

  1. I love your honest outsiders first impressions of us Aussies Christophe. They're really unique... kinda makes me more proud to be one... yeah, I think we're pretty damn awesome... are you getting that feeling... Australia's where it's at. We rock. Simple as that! We're bicycle safety nerds and proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Angie. So far the people I've met here have made me question why I don't just move here. I am most certainly already planning out my fringe show for next year.

    ReplyDelete