Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sore Feet

Wednesday February 16th 2011, Adelaide, South Australia

It’s been weird getting up early, or at a normal time I guess. I’ve been waking up around 8am or before every morning and getting a full day of sunlight. The extra vitamin D doesn’t hurt. A second day of putting up posters and handing out flyers, this time from 9am to 4pm solid. Ran into a few places that had the “exclusive contract” with the companies that buy out certain walls and coffee shops, which I repeat is still bullshit. It costs hundreds of dollars to get even the minimum amount of posters done with any of the companies, and if you don’t, they’ll tear down your posters if you put them in their “contract areas”...well fuck ‘em. After spending seven hours walking around downtown Adelaide, I realized that it’s not even worth it, as these companies have so many contracts with performers, these designated areas are overcrowded and all of them get lost in the barrage of shows. However, by busting my ass, and putting my own shit up, I was able to get into a lot of independently owned stores & restaurants and be the only poster up there. Grassroots baby!

I also performed on the Caravan today. I was more nervous about doing 5mins in front of a bunch of disinterested people walking around an outdoor mall, than doing my show. Luckily it turned out okay. I couldn’t really do material, seeing as there are young kids around, so I went with the improvised singing thing with the guitar and it went over well enough. It’s been fun experimenting with improvised singing and guitar, or ‘Guitarprov’ if you like your performance styles boiled down to punchy and marketable single words (‘Guitarprov’ is trademarked & will soon be taught to adults who aren’t happy with their job, but can’t quit because of their crippling mortgage).

Finally jumped into the ocean today. Met up with the lovely couple, who are currently sharing their home with me, and jumped in the wonderfully warm water. The sun was coming down, which is when the girl got it in the opening scene of Jaws and statistically the time when sharks do come out to feed, so I kept my eye out the entire time.

I was late applying to the Sydney comedy fest, so it doesn’t look like I’ll be officially in the program, although I may be able to hop on here and there. I think I’ll be busy enough with Adelaide, and a short run in Melbourne, grabbing spots in Sydney, and then focusing the month of May on surfing. It's something I have always wanted to do, yet never had the chance before. Things will be more clear once Adelaide wraps up, but I’m started to get excited about the prospect of visiting the Queensland area, finding a old surfer guru and riding some waves for 30 days.

Bought a bike today at K-Mart for $120, which means I can now commute to and from town, without having to take an expensive cab, or catch the train (which stops at 11:30pm). I just have to figure out how to put it together first.

No comments:

Post a Comment