Tuesday, February 22, 2011

First week is through.

Tuesday Feb 22nd Adelaide, South Australia

My bike chain broke yesterday. I guess that’s what you get when you pay $120 bucks for it at K-Mart. Getting over Sunday’s press show has allowed me to relax a bit and go see some of the other shows in the venue. Having a 6:15pm show time initially seemed like it could have been a bit too early, but it’s turned out to be a blessing in disguise as people come to my show right after work and then I have the rest of the night free to go watch other shows. So far I’ve seen three, and two of them have nearly no talking throughout the entire performance. It’s what DeAnne had told me about how this festival was going to show me that there’s many different ways to make people laugh for an hour that doesn’t necessarily include jokes or even having to speak.

I’ve been helping out behind the bar at the Tuxedo Cat the last couple of nights. It’s been a cool way to meet other artists, fringe-goers and a decent method of informing people of my show taking place in the same venue. It’s amazing how friendly and fun everyone involved with the venue is. I am so grateful for DeAnne getting me linked with the Tux and the people surrounding it. As soon as the fringe is over, there’s already plans in the works to go with some of the Tuxedo folks out to Coffin Bay, which apparently has some of the richest aquatic life in the region. James, the guy who oversaw the construction in the venue and who started these coffin bay plans, said that the surfing there is amazing, but there’s also a lot of sharks. The next day it was in the paper that a diver was eaten by two great white sharks...TWO! So although, I’m very excited about the prospect of fishing, I think I might hold onto my surfing aspirations for an area where you don’t get tag teamed by two great whites.

My first run is over, and including my pre-sales, I have already covered my venue fees for the entire festival. So after a bit of a shaky start, I’m in a much better place, and it looks like I will be at the very least breaking even on this thing. Last night was the first show which wasn’t full, about ten people, but it was a fun little crowd and for the second time, the oldest couple in the room were the ones coming up to me afterward and showing their support. So although it hasn’t been enough of a study group to write any scientific report, from the four shows I’ve done, it’s surprisingly the younger generation of Adelaide who are reacting more conservatively to my material. Weeeoode.

Today I move a bit closer to downtown, staying at friends of Isla and Andy’s. Matt is Australian, & Mel is from Hamilton, Ontario of all places. The two of them came to see the press show on Sunday and loved it, which helps my case in being a guest in their home. First reviews should be coming out soon. Can’t say I’m not nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment