Sunday, February 27, 2011

Awards and chat shows.

The Oscars are playing here, only in the daytime. The King's Speech just won for best picture, I've got to get out and see it.
In other news I was on a live chat show last night. I was nervous about doing it as I've haven't done many of them before. The chat went okay, but I've still got some work to do on selling myself. There is a strange disconnect with working hard on having a great show, and being able to somehow pack that into a tiny soundbite that reflects the same fun people will have if they come to see you.
At the end of the interview Marcel Lucont (the host of the show, a character played by Alexis Dubus) always challenges the guest to a staring contest. Most of the other guests would last about ten seconds, some coming close to a minute, but all eventually backing down to the unblinking eyes of Marcel. That was until he came across me. What started out as a funny gag, turned into something more serious when about eight minutes had gone by and neither of us had blinked. As time went on, I was happier with the banter that we kept up between each other to break the silence. But with weary and watery eyes, we still didn't blink.
Finally we asked someone in the audience to look up the world record for a staring contest. There's still seems to be no official time, but the woman said about 17:48. We checked in again and we had passed fifteen minutes. Finally we decided to concede after we passed the supposed world record, so at eighteen minutes, we stood up and finally closed our sore and watery eyes. \I didn't know I had the hidden talent of staring, but now that I know I will only use my powers for good.
I was supposed to go exercise this morning, but instead I watched the Oscars and ate some ice cream and 'mint crisp' M&M's'. Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment