Thursday, July 21, 2011

First Day of JFL

Ohhh shit. Tonight I'm doing my first set at Just For Laughs in four years. I'm just opening for a friend, but the pressure is still there. I have been working at 30 to 45 minute sets the last month, and finding the switch back down to 8mins isn't as easy as just picking the material. There's a whole different energy and structure with a short set that differs greatly from a longer one. First one is you don't have much time to get to know the audience, or have them get to know you. With a short set I feel like all I have time for is firing out the best jokes I can think of in some semblance of an order.
I spent the last three nights working out the jokes that have been doing the best over the past month, and they have all but tanked. I know these jokes work. I know that they are funny. But three brick walls in a row and I'm feeling a little apprehensive about tonight. I'm trying to remind myself about the fun part of it. Maybe if I just get as excited about the material as I can it will infect the audience. Maybe if I care less they will care more (seems to work that way in relationships). Maybe I'll just relax, hang with my wonderful friend and do a comedy show. I've done those before.

No comments:

Post a Comment